Sunday, May 16, 2010

Another Week Goes By

What a great weekend we had! I spent Saturday morning at the spa getting a massage, facial, manicure and pedicure. Is it possible to start a day any better than that? I came home to a happy and smiling baby boy who did not fuss the entire day. Justin and I took a some time away in the afternoon for us to pick up Justin's new truck. Austin went to bed around 8:45 and we watched The Hangover before we went to bed. Austin was so happy all day and even though I didn't get to spend the entire day with him, it was a really nice, relaxing day. Sunday we were only able to get about 20 minutes of a walk in before the rain started to fall.  Luckily I hadn't gotten very far and it was only slightly sprinkling.  I got back home before the bottom fell out but I was disappointed that we didn't get to walk very long (I really needed the exercise!).  Austin amazingly stayed awake through the whole thing so I hate that he didn't get to enjoy more time outside

He has been really good this week except for one day at school when he ran a low grade temp (99.9). I could tell as soon as I walked into his classroom that he wasn't feeling well and he really wasn't himself for the rest of the night. His temperature went back to normal but he really didn't seem to feel well all night. But the next day he was back to his usual self!

We're still feeding him rice cereal once a day and he is doing so well with it! He finishes his bowl in less than 5 minutes and we hardly have any on his face or bib by the time we're done. I hope this is a sign that he is going to be a good eater! I really can't wait to start feeding him solids because I'm so looking forward to all the faces he's going to make when he tastes different things. And I'm so excited to see what he's going to love and what he's going to hate. What a fun adventure it should be!!

We changed up his schedule last weekend and it seems to be working perfectly.  When the doctor hinted that he wanted us to feed him more, we decided that since we were planning to move around his schedule that weekend, we would go ahead and increase his bottles then too.  Austin was never acting like he was still hungry after he would finish a 4oz bottle so we always assumed that he was full and happy.  In hindsight, he was probably full enough at the time, but it probably wasn't holding him over the entire three hours before his next feeding, which would explain his random bouts of fussiness during the day.  The first few times we offered more than 4oz, he was consistently stopping right at 4.  Finally he started eating 5oz, then 6oz and sometimes even 7oz at a feeding.  Last Sunday he went from eating 24oz to 31oz all day!  I think the doctor was right...  He is now eating every 3 1/2 hours instead of every 3 and he's going to bed an hour earlier at 8:00.  It has caused us to adjust our schedule as well and we're still getting used to having to have dinner cooked, eaten and cleaned up by 8:00!  It works out better for everyone, we just have to get in the habit of starting dinner earlier than we used to.  The Babywise schedule continues to be our model and it has worked like a charm since the day we started it.  I told a friend this week that I can't imagine not having a set schedule to go by. I think our life would be much more hectic, confusing and crazy without one!

Austin is just so amazing and I couldn't feel more blessed to be his Mommy.  He's the cutest thing I've ever seen and he makes me smile just thinking of him.  Last night after we put him down, I stood outside his room to see if he was going to put up a fight or not.  His paci came out after a minute or so and instead of rushing to put it back in before he got fussy, I stood there to see what he was going to do.  All of a sudden he starting "talking" and blowing raspberries and bubbles.  He did this for a few minutes before I decided to put the paci back in, but it was the sweetest thing hearing him entertain himself!  Justin and I both just stood there listening to him, laughing and smiling at the noises he was making.  I can't wait for the nights when he starts to talk himself to sleep.  I have a feeling Justin and I will get many more smiles and laughs out of that!

I'll try to get some pictures posted soon, but I must say I'm pretty happy about getting another update posted so quickly!! :). I hope everyone has a great week and thanks for reading!

No comments: