Saturday, July 18, 2009

Normal...and Hormonal

16 Week Update from BabyCenter.com:

"Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double his weight and add inches to his length. Right now, he's about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces. His legs are much more developed, his head is more erect than it has been, and his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head. His ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of his scalp has begun, though his locks aren't recognizable yet. He's even started growing toenails. And there's a lot happening inside as well. For example, his heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as your baby continues to develop."


Today marks the beginning of Week 16 - only four more to go and we can find out what this baby is!!! I went to the doctor for my 16-week checkup on Wednesday, and as it was just a routine check, I don't have much to report. The doctor checked the heartbeat with the Doppler and measured my stomach for the first time. I was able to ask her some questions about a few problems I've been having recently, namely the headaches. Of course her answer was that they are normal and hormonal. Great...that means there is nothing that can be done about them. She asked what I was taking for the pain, which I thought was a weird question since I can only take Tylenol. So I told her that's what I was taking and that it didn't help at all. She said the next time I have one, try to drink a little bit of caffeine, as sometimes that will help. Another thing I thought that was weird, since they typically tell you to stay away from caffeine during pregnancy. Oh well, I'll try anything at this point. I haven't had a bad headache in a couple of weeks though, until I woke up at about 5am Friday morning for my normal every 2 hour bathroom break. The pain was getting worse as I tried to fall back asleep, but it had subsided some by the time I got up at 8am. I used the partial headache as an excuse to have a Starbucks white chocolate mocha, and either the headache wasn't that bad to begin with, or the coffee really helped!! Either way I felt better in a short time and was able to enjoy my Friday off. The doc did ask if I had felt any movement yet so I'm impatiently waiting to feel that first little flutter!!

My friend Nikki will be going to Indiana next week to get started on her clinical trial. Unfortunately, her numbers were back up after she came back from her honeymoon so now she is going to begin this treatment under the same doctor that treated Lance Armstrong. I'm hoping and praying that this clinical trial will prove to be as successful as the doctor hopes. Please keep her in your prayers.

No comments: