Sunday, August 16, 2009

Halfway There!!

20 Week Update from BabyCenter.com:

"Your baby weighs about 10 1/2 ounces now. He's also around 6 1/2 inches long from head to bottom and about 10 inches from head to heel — the length of a banana. (For the first 20 weeks, when a baby's legs are curled up against his torso and hard to measure, measurements are taken from the top of his head to his bottom — the "crown to rump" measurement. After 20 weeks, he's measured from head to toe.) He's swallowing more these days, which is good practice for his digestive system. He's also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion."


Finally, Baby Vinson has an identity and a name!! We're having a BOY and his name is Austin Daniel!! Our ultrasound on Thursday was the most amazing thing I have ever seen in my life. My mom and Justin's parents joined us and we were all able to see his stomach, bladder, aorta, spine, ribs, diaphragm, brain, both arms, hands, legs and feet. Oh yeah, and his little peepee!! As soon as the ultrasound technician got in between his legs to look, it was very obvious that he was a boy!! I was just so thankful that he cooperated!! He moved around a lot, kicking and stretching in that tiny little space that is his temporary home. I couldn't believe how squashed he looked in there!! It was really cool to see him moving and stretching - now I know what he's doing when I feel him moving around in there! The technician let us see his face and arms a few times in 4D - WOW! I can't imagine how awesome the 4D will look in 12 more weeks when he is even more developed! His heartbeat was 145 beats per minute, just one beat lower than it was at 8 weeks. He was measuring at 5 months, 5 days which is exactly where I was in the pregnancy on Thursday. Looks like our due date of January 2 is accurate!!

My mom and I went to Babies R Us after the appointment to look around for a while and I registered for a few items that did not need Justin's "manly approval"! :) I'm hoping to get all of the registering done here in the next week or two so I can get it off of my mind!! We've finally picked out some bedding that wasn't too plain for me or too "sissy or girly" for Justin. We're finally getting to where we can go and look at some of the houses that we have picked out, now that Justin is no longer working out of town. Hopefully within the next few months, I'll be able to do the "nesting" thing and start setting up the nursery in our new home! You have no idea how much I am looking forward to that!

More than anything I'm excited to meet this little guy that is growing inside of me. It is so much more real when you can feel him moving, but nothing compares to seeing him and how much he has grown from the little blob he was at 8 weeks to the growing little boy he is now at 20 weeks. It's amazing to be able to see the changes that are occurring in your body! I can't wait to see his face and get to know him! I have read about the special connection a mom feels with her baby while she's pregnant, and now I finally understand what that means. It was hard to feel a connection with something when you couldn't feel it there - now that I can feel him and actually picture what he's doing when I feel him moving, it just really puts things into a new perspective for me. We're so excited to meet our little guy!

**Ultrasound pics to come!

No comments: