Monday, August 3, 2009

Hello, Belly!!!

18 Week Update from BabyCenter.com:

"Head to rump, your baby is about 5 1/2 inches long (about the length of a bell pepper) and he weighs almost 7 ounces. He's busy flexing his arms and legs — movements that you'll start noticing more and more in the weeks ahead. His blood vessels are visible through his thin skin, and his ears are now in their final position, although they're still standing out from his head a bit. A protective covering of myelin is beginning to form around his nerves, a process that will continue for a year after he's born. If you're having a girl, her uterus and fallopian tubes are formed and in place. If you're having a boy, his genitals are noticeable now, but he may hide them from you during an ultrasound."


I cannot believe that I am entering into my 5th month of pregnancy!! I thought it was going so slowly at first, but now it seems to be moving right along! I woke up Thursday morning and looked in the mirror and was shocked at what I saw. There was my belly - all poking out and big!! I have had a bump on the lower part of my tummy, but all of a sudden the upper part seemed to pop out overnight! It's still not very big, but it was a surprise to see first thing in the morning. It's amazing the changes your body will go through overnight.

My weight is still fluctuating very strangely. In the 2nd month, I somehow managed to lose 11 pounds. I am weighing myself every week to make sure I'm keeping on track and not gaining too much too fast. Over the last few months, I have only gained about three to three and half pounds. This morning, I had lost those three pounds again and am back to the same weight I was after losing the initial 11 pounds. It's really weird how this is happening because I am really expecting to see that number go up every week, not down!! The only thing I can think of is medicine. I was put on a medication almost four years ago, and since taking that medicine my weight has slowly crept up and up - for a while now, I've been at my hightest weight ever in my life. I began coming off of that medication a few months before I found out I was pregnant, and stopped taking it completely when my pregnancy test came back positive. So my thinking is that the weight gained from that medicine is slowly coming off now naturally, when at the same time I'm gaining pregnancy pounds. I don't think I'm seeing a drastic increase on the scale because the weight loss from the medicine and the weight gain from the pregnancy are cancelling each other out. I could be completely wrong here, but that's my personal opinion! I guess either way, I shouldn't complain!

We are sooo excited for next Thursday!! My mom and Justin's parents will all be coming with us to the ultrasound to see what Baby Vinson's sex is. I'm anxious to have the ultrasound regardless - I haven't seen the baby since it was a little blob eight weeks into the pregnancy. I know a lot has been changing and I'm really excited to see those changes on the screen! Not to mention, we'll finally be able to pick out baby bedding and everything else we've been holding off on!

I hope everyone has a great week!! Please keep Nikki in your prayers - she is seeing the doctor in Indiana and will be doing the clinical trial treatments for a while.

No comments: